Teacher-Feature: Mr. Barry

Recently, I interviewed the one and only Mr. Barry. He is one of the newest teachers at Millennium and one of the most popular amongst the Upper House students. Mr. Barry definitely has a unique style of teaching and a bond with his students. Mr. Barry tries to make the learning environment a calm and peaceful place for students to express how they really are as if he’s a student himself. 

Q: What influenced you to teach? 

A: Fun fact about me, I have ADHD which is why I enjoy working with students with disabilities. 

Q: What’s your educational background?

A: I went to Ithaca College as an undergraduate where I majored in English and I minored in classical studies and education. So it was a double minor. I was President of the English Honors Society. I went to NYU for graduate school where my major was teaching English to students with disabilities. 

Q: What is your biggest strength as a teacher?

A: Patience because you need a lot of patience to work with kids and especially teenagers. Another thing I go by is to not take everything seriously and have a sense of humor in the classroom. 

Q: What’s your biggest weakness as a teacher?

A: Math and anything that involves math. I am a wordsmith. Another weakness of mine is staying focused 100% of the time. 

Q: How would you describe your style of teaching? 

A: I prefer 1-on-1 and small-group instruction. Reading and writing skills which is my area of speciality. Thinking outside of the box in order to bring creativity into the classroom. 

Q: Describe a time when a student challenged your authority. 

A: Lots of kids think I’m a student teacher or an assistant teacher. Sometimes they treat me that way. There was one time I asked a student whom he was texting and he told me ‘your mom’ in front of the entire classroom. We took a walk and had a little chat and ever since then, he’s been well-behaved. 

Q: What’s another one of your favorite things about teaching?

A: I like seeing progress in students. Putting in the hard work and getting results makes me feel like my job has a purpose. 

Q: What’s your least favorite thing about teaching?

A: Grading. 

Q: Any words of advice you have for students of Millennium?

A: Go easy on yourself and enjoy high school while it lasts. Before you know it you’ll be in college.